Saturday, May 31, 2008

Alone downstairs, I hear the door to the washer room close

I was downstairs by myself on today. I was in the library where I keep all my board games, and had the game Rheinlander broken out and was trying to teach myself the rules and the order of play. Tomorrow is the first Gathering of the Four Horsemen - me and four friends that get together for the entire day to do nothing but play board games. Geeky, I know. But I love board games.

I was deep in thought with the rules of the game when I heard one of the doors to the washer/dryer room slam shut. The doors used to have this ball and spring assembly where you would have to push hard against the frame to get that ball into a little socket. That would hold the doors shut. Over time the assemblies have popped off and the springs bent by Holly and the kids before I could get to them. Anyway, to make a long story short, to currently shut the doors now, you just gently press them against their frame. Usually they stay. But when you shut them more forcefully they make a distinctive noise.

When I heard the door one of those doors slam shut, I thought that Sarah, my oldest daughter was downstairs with me doing some laundry. I called out to her and got no reply. So I got up and walked over to the kitchen and saw I was still alone.

So I walked upstairs and found all four women of the house in my master bathroom, chatting up. I asked them if anyone was just downstairs. They all said no, why?

Never mind, I said, and walked back downstairs to finish teaching myself Rheinlander.

No comments: