Saturday, April 19, 2008

Time for some passive EVP work

Holly and I went to dinner last night - our favorite place for sushi. I told her at dinner I wanted to start recording sounds in the house while we slept, sort of passive EVP work.

So after dinner we walked to Staples - which was right next door to North China Inn, to pick up a digital voice recorder. I ended up picking a Sony ICQ-B600 for around $50. It's far from the top of the line, but it stores over 50 hours of sound, and can split recordings on the fly.

I have decided to the start recording my house while I sleep, just so I can prove to myself and hopefully others that something is going on in my house. The incident the other night in Shelby's room is the last straw for me and I am pissed off. I want to know what's in my house.

EVP is about the best I can do, because I can listen to the recordings while I work. Video would not work because I would have to watch a screen, so wouldn't be able to go through the hours of evidence while I worked. No, EVP is the way to go for me. If there's anything going on in my house, this is the way to find it.

Also, I'm not sure I want to see what's walking around my house while I sleep...

So tonight will be the first recording. I wonder what I'm going to catch. Maybe nothing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see why video is ruled out here, but how about a combination of both?
If you record the nightly sounds and have a video camera set up at the same place, you could continue hearing your sound recording for unusual sounds and then, if you find anything, view the same time stamp on the video recording. That way you wouldn't have to look at all the video footage, but you have it available if needed.
Also you would have another sound recording with the video footage, which may contain more or more detailed sounds.
If placed at the right spot, it would make things like rough distance measuring possible, by listening to the differences in the sound recordings.

Ed Mittelstedt said...

This is an excellent idea! My only reservation is that I don't want "them" to know I'm giving them attention, possibly making the level of activity increase. This is why I have never attempted any "question and answer" EVP sessions.

So I'm a bit hesitant about setting this type of equipment up. I don't want my daughters to be scared more than they are.

But there have been times where I have woken up in the middle of the night and could not go back to sleep, and I could swear something was walking around the room. This setup would be perfect for that.

Anonymous said...

If the ghosts would increase their level of activity when being observed, wouldn't they do it also when being listened to? If that were the case, they would have done that when you started the recordings in the first place (but maybe they even did). Maybe you can outsmart them by casually leaving the camera at a well thought out point (maybe on your drawer or something), but only using it a few days later by switching it on where it is (maybe even with a remote).
After you switched on the voice recorder, too, you just have to make a noise you can use to synch up the two recordings afterwards.

I don't want to convince you of anything that you deem potentially harmful to you and your family. I'm just suggesting solutions that might have a slow or subtle enough approach to not disturb what's in your house.

Maybe you have a webcam? With that you could record stuff quite subtly by leaving it on after working on the PC. With this solution you wouldn't be as free in your choice of location, though.

Another question that comes to my mind is, how can you manage to live all day, every day with this and how scared is your family of this? - The fact that you still live in the house after all this time indicates that the situation is annoying, but still quite manageable.

And it seems that the town where you are has quite some history of events like that - did you ever talk to other citizens about it?