Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The House is built

New Windsor, Maryland is an old town. Its history dates back to the late eighteenth century.

I had my house built four years ago on the outskirts of town. It was built on an acre of land located on the eastern side of Hawks Hill, a gentle rolling hill that overlooks a small valley containing 500 acres of corn field and is slowly being turned into a limestone quarry on the north end by the evil concrete company Lehigh. Thankfully, I will still have a view of a corn field for at least ten more years.

When our house was being built during the winter of 2003, Holly and I would drive up to New Windsor from Glen Burnie just to see how the house was shaping up. It magical seeing the construction transform from a concrete foundation to framed walls to siding to a completed house.

On an unseasonably warm January day, Holly and I brought my parents to the construction site to show my parents the house for the first time. At that point the walls were still only framed out and the floors were still plywood, but you could tell it was a house.

We pulled up the driveway and went in via the garage, which had no door on it yet. As we were mounting the steps from the garage into the kitchen, we all heard someone walking on the second floor directly above us. They were heavy steps, like boots. But they weren't fast footsteps, like someone who was trying to find an escape route - and we made plenty of noise coming into the site. No, the walking was slow and determined, like something with all the time in the world.

I went upstairs with my dad, but no one was there. We all sort of blew it off at the time. I think as a group we decided some local teen was upstairs and escaped out one of the windows. But the jump was too high from the second floor, and all the windows were shut save for one, which was only cracked. In their haste, someone wouldn't re-shut the window to that size of an opening. In retrospect there really was no logical reason for the sounds of the boots.

But I now realize that:


  1. This was our first ghost encounter with this house

  2. This happened during daylight hours

  3. My house was not even built yet and it was haunted.
So why am I exposing to the world what's going on in my house? I guess because I'm pissed off. I'm pissed because if I dare stay awake more than 10 minutes after the lights go out at night, I will start to hear things moving around in my room, like someone walking softly on the carpet. I will hear things being moved, picked up, softly put down. It's terrifying.

Hopefully someone out there will see this information and will be able to provide some insight into what's going on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I am currently in the process of reading your blog in chronological order and it looks like i will leave more comments on the way.

I am a sceptic according to ghosts and related stories, though i am fascinated with those kinds of things (never having experienced any myself). Your blog (even though i have not read everything yet) has somehow peaked my interest, though there are some things that leave me in doubt.

I am not entirely convinced that what you write about here is the truth, but the fact that you continue writing about it and continue recording stuff even though there is little feedback as of yet, gives you some credibility imho. That combined with the fact that I know you are a real person (from administering SWCCG for gEngine until its recent demise) motivates me to deal with what you say in a serious way.

So I will tell you my doubts and offer some input on what you write and record, so maybe it will help you get a different perspective on what you experience and thus learn more about what is happening at your house and why, while possibly convincing me, that things such as ghosts really exist.

I have only scant knowledge of the supernatural, but maybe common sense and a sceptical view of the happenings will provide useful insights and ideas nonetheless.

If you don't want me commenting on what you write as I am planning to do, please let me know.

Ed Mittelstedt said...

By all means, comment away! I'm not looking for fame with this. I'm simply trying to make sense of what is going on in my house, and putting it out to whomever wishes to analyze it seemed the best way to do it.