Sunday, April 20, 2008

EVP Recordings, April 19, 2008

So, what happened the first night? I captured two EVPs of interest. Both clips were within minutes of Holly and I going to bed.


Clip #1, 10:52 pm, 14s

This sound was easily recognizable because I hear it a lot. It is of my shower stall, which is a small square area completely enclosed in glass located next to a larger tub. My theory is that something is placing weight on the floor of the stall, then taking that weight off. There are two parts to the clip:

0:04: You can hear the weight being applied to the shower stall floor.

0:08: The weight is lifted off, causing the second noise.

Think of the noise a coke can makes as you squeeze it, then unsqueeze it. The shower stall does make this noise when Holly or myself are standing in it.

What's really interesting is at 0:02 you can hear the same voice from clip 02!. I did not hear this until I transferred the recording to the computer, so this was a surprise to me. You can barely hear it but make sure you check that out because I make note of it below.




Clip #2, 10:54 45s

This is a capture a small female child or a young woman. I think the voice originated from within my room, or just outside my room in the landing.

I verified with all my daughters that this voice was not theirs, even though I could immediately tell it was not any of them (you know your own daughter's voices).

0:08: The voice starts.

0:15: I think this is my daughters talking to each other in the next room, but it could also be the voice distorted, or facing a direction that the microphone could not pick up clearly.

0:22: The voice is clear again with a sound that to me is like a wordless disapproval. Note that this disapproval is the same sound at clip 01 at 0:02.

This EVP really freaks me out. It's a voice that is saying something in a language I can't understand. If anyone knows, or knows what she is saying, please leave a comment.

The rest of the night was quiet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the recording you listen to while working? How do you manage to work whith that much noise in the background and why is the recording quality that bad in the first place? I think there are better recorders out there with less background noise. Or is the recording just turned that loud?
It also helps a bit, if you run a noise remover over the files - with the correct options, the unimportant noise can be reduced somewhat (the louder the important sounds, the better). But I can still not understand, what the girl in your second file is saying...

I have some questions in general about the two recorded files:
Where was the recorder placed? The contents of the first recording (especially its loudness) seem to suggest, that the recorder is near or in the bathroom, while the second recording seems to be in your room. Are those rooms that close together or are the walls so thin that you can hear sounds like that through them?

When you say that the sounds in the first recording are from your shower stall, I can imagine that something heavy flexing a metal plate would make sounds like that, but as i said before, the noises seem quite loud to me and the shower stall floor must be quite misconstructed or flexed to generate noises like that in general.

As for the second recording: How did you get the idea, that the part in the middle could be your daughters talking in the adjacent room? And what are those noises at the end of the recording? It sounds like bells of a nearby church or a clock.
I also noticed, that the word uttered at 0:20 seems to have a kind of echoing feeling to it.
The "wordless disapproval" that you describe at 0:22 could also be a somewhat bored or absent minded wordless approval to me (hear how the voice has a hint of going up toward the end?), like the sound you would make, while nodding after someone tells you something, but when you are really thinking about something else at that moment. Where you hear the same sound in clip#1 eludes me...the only hint i am able to hear might also be my imagination wanting to hear the sound ;)

I know this post contains a lot of scepticism and probably some criticism, but there is no offense intended. I just want to better understand, how and what was recorded.

Ed Mittelstedt said...

Ok there's a lot to reply to so I'll do it the best I can:

This is the recording you listen to while working? How do you manage to work whith that much noise in the background and why is the recording quality that bad in the first place?

Yes, I'm a programmer, so I can just listen while I'm coding. The background noise simply fades into the background, and when a noise happens, it's very noticable.

I think there are better recorders out there with less background noise. Or is the recording just turned that loud?

I'm sure there are definitely better recorders out there. I initially didn't want to spend $100 on a recorder when I didn't even know I was going to pick something up on it. I have the mic on the recorder set to High Gain, my previous attempts at recording on low gain produces muffled sounds. I think the trade off with the background noise is excellent recordings of the noises themselves.

It also helps a bit, if you run a noise remover over the files - with the correct options, the unimportant noise can be reduced somewhat (the louder the important sounds, the better).

I use Audacity to transfer from the recorder, and have yet to find a setting or tool that removes the background noise without destroying the recording. If anyone would like to help with settings, I would be happy to use them on future recordings.

Where was the recorder placed? The contents of the first recording (especially its loudness) seem to suggest, that the recorder is near or in the bathroom, while the second recording seems to be in your room. Are those rooms that close together or are the walls so thin that you can hear sounds like that through them?

The recorder was placed next to my bed. The bathroom is a master bathroom, connected directly to the bedroom by an open door during the time of the recording. The shower is against the wall connecting the two rooms, inches from the open doorway. That's probably why it sounds so loud. Also, the high gain mic picks up these sounds very nicely.

When you say that the sounds in the first recording are from your shower stall, I can imagine that something heavy flexing a metal plate would make sounds like that, but as i said before, the noises seem quite loud to me and the shower stall floor must be quite misconstructed or flexed to generate noises like that in general.

The shower stall is a builder-grade one-piece fiberglass unit. The floor is fiberglass. I think the noise is the floor flexing against the drain pipe, or the plastic cover of the drain pipe.

As for the second recording: How did you get the idea, that the part in the middle could be your daughters talking in the adjacent room?

After listening to it again, I think it is indeed possible the voice throughout the whole recording is from the same source, and not from my girls. It's very hard to tell It's just mumbling during the middle, but the voice sounds the same throughout the recording. This particular recording

And what are those noises at the end of the recording? It sounds like bells of a nearby church or a clock.

Those are heavy wind chimes located outside on my porch. It was windy that night.

I know this post contains a lot of scepticism and probably some criticism, but there is no offense intended. I just want to better understand, how and what was recorded.

I welcome it!