Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Windsor Ghost Legends

New Windsor is rich with history, and of course ghost stories. I've not done extensive research, but what I've been told second-hand is even enough to fill a blog entry!

This is what I know so far. As I do more research into why my house is haunted, I'll post my findings in future entries.

Here is what I know so far:

  • No Civil War battles were fought in the immediate area, but confederate troops did raid New Windsor in 1864 without conflict and looted Roops grocery store.


  • There is a an unconfirmed story of a woman who hung herself at the top of the Hawks Hill from an oak tree that no longer exists. Since this would have been Taggart's farm back then, we are trying to find out from Nana Taggart (who lives in New Windsor town now) if she remembers the incident and who that might have been.


  • A few houses down towards the town, there was a barn fire that happened in the 1800s during Christmas season. A little girl was trapped in that fire and still reportedly haunts that house. The current owners keep Christmas lights up all year around the outside of the house to keep the girl happy.


  • Old New Windsor Road, which runs in front of my acre plot, used to be a toll road for carriages. The locals say the road is haunted and that at night you can sometimes hear the sound of a carriage, complete with hoof steps, coming down the road.


  • A year ago I was talking to Galen Roop, a local realtor, and descendant of the Roops (who owned the grocery store in town). He told me he was preparing to sell either the old Ander's House or the old Stouffer's House on Main Street [I need to confirm which the next time I drive by]. He was on the upper level taking pictures with his digital camera. When he went back to the office to download them to his computer all the pictures taken on the upper floor were completely blacked out. In the days of 35mm film, this could happen when the film was damaged or exposed prior to development. But this is very strange for a digital camera, as there is no film to be accidentally exposed.

No comments: