Thursday, March 18, 2010

My first active EVP session

I've made it clear in past posts that I have not wanted to perform EVP investigations in my house. I don't want spirits to become more active and try to interact more with people in the house, simply because I have younger girls that are already freaked out about the whole haunted thing.

But Monday night I had an epiphany: Last summer, Sarah saw an apparition walk up our yard. I realized I didn't have a problem at all doing EVP sessions outside of the house.

So Monday night, I went outside after the kids went to bed and walked over to the spot where Sarah claimed to have seen the apparition. I only planned to be out there a few minutes because Holly was still at work and I knew she would be coming home very soon. So I already had a bit of a time-crunch on myself mentally. I brought out my Sansa e280 hacked with Rockbox software and started the recorder, which has turned out to be a real kick-ass recorder, because the software allows built-in gain with the microphone.

So here's the session. WARNING! The first 10 seconds contain a high-pitched whine. This is a bug in the Rockbox recording software. I apologize for it:


There was a slight wind blowing, and there was quite a bit of interfering events like cars passing (which drives me crazy because the country road I live on almost never has traffic, but two cards passed by during my short little session)

Anomalies noticed:

00:51: Some sort of metallic bang. I did not hear this while recording.
02:56 Although I failed to tag this, this was a semi truck decelerating.

Ok, so it was my very first EVP session. Nothing paranormal was captured, but I've listened to it a few times now, and realize there are some improvements that I need.

1) I need to have an arsenal of questions ready. I ran out of questions early. I also need to figure out how to have a longer 1-way conversation. Easier said than done!

2) I was too quiet in the beginning. I also need to introduce myself in the beginning.

3) I need to be friendlier and more conversation-like.

4) I think I did a good job tagging noises that I heard. And it was helpful, because at 2:37 there is a noise, and immediately my ears perked up while listening to it the first time, and then I hear my tag, "dog".

I think I'm going to be doing quite a few more EVP sessions in the area I'm going to refer from now on as "The Farmer's Walk Area".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool. I know what you mean about not wanting to do it in the house. I have been checking out a lot of EVP sites and also Ghost Box info and most of the Class B or C EVPs are really sketchy. No matter how many times I listen to them they don't sound like words to me. Ghost Box is very subjective. Now some of the Class A ones are remarkable. Would love to catch some of them.