Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ghost Boxes

I recently discovered an interesting device called a Ghost Box. At its most elemental level, it is a hacked Radio Shack AM/FM radio. Only specific models of their catalog can be hacked, but once the modifications are made, it automatically scans the airwaves at a fast clip, playing small sections of voice and noise from the radio stations in the area.

The theory goes that ghosts or spirits in the vicinity of the unit can manipulate the sounds and voices coming from the speakers and answer questions or make statements to those listening. Here is a sample from YouTube:




However, speculation exists that claims the voices being picked up are simply random and could be construed as coincidence. The trick is to ask questions that are in context, for example what color coat am I wearing?

So I am now on a quest to obtain a hackable radio. I obtained a list of hackable models from the web. I found one of them at our local Radio Shack for $30. I'll be getting it soon to hack it.

I still have a policy of doing no EVP sessions in my house. I have teenage daughters and I really don't want to draw attention to my family in that way. I don't want to stir things up or make things more active. But I am thinking about starting an investigation group, and a tool like this would be very handy.

No comments: