Thursday, October 23, 2008

The constant knocking

I might have mentioned this before, but this morning I realized, perhaps not for the first time, that the knocking inside the walls is pretty constant throughout the day. It can be broad daylight, or the dead of night. If you stop to listen, there is some sort of noise being made somewhere in the house.

I know what noises a house makes when it settles, and when this first started I just kept telling myself that the house was settling. But after a while doubt started creeping into my thoughts. Does a house only 5 years old settle this much?

And after I started making the night recordings did I realize that the settling was not really settling, but knocks from a ghost. Now I hear the knocks and think to myself, "will you just knock it off already?"

But like I said, it never stops.

No comments: